Title

We are all about marketing, data, analysis, innovation and technology

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Should newspapers be bailed out? I think not!

I cannot believe the story I just read in DM News (2/6/09) about having the government bail out newspapers. Yes I believe newspapers and other publications still play a critical role in our society and yes they do employ many people. However, that does not mean they are still playing as a significant role in our digital world as before, because they are not! The tides are changing quickly.

http://www.dmnews.com/Should-newspapers-be-bailed-out/article/127025/

Regarding the automotive industry, I am not for that bailout either but for different reasons. The automotive mess is due solely to bad management and lack of vision. Making missteps in any business allows competitors to make their moves, which in turn creates more competition, and isn't that what makes the world go round?

To have the government bail out newspapers would have been comparable to the government saving the Underwood typewriter company (and other typewriter manufacturers) years ago because they were a major employer of many people and played a major role in how we once communicated with others.

Do I think newspapers will ever vanish totally like the typewriter? I am not sure. I guess time will tell.

Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment