Title

We are all about marketing, data, analysis, innovation and technology

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Let's not forget that Facebook is free

I hate to admit it but I am siding with Facebook on this "data usage" change they made in their Terms and Conditions this past week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/technology/internet/19facebook.html?_r=1&hp

Why? Let's get real. Because they are letting me make these very postings on my business page for my students and colleagues absolutely free and with no real restrictions. And, they are also letting me maintain a personal Facebook account as well where I can upload pictures, video content and again for free. Wow, What a deal! And, to top it all off I can stay in touch with my friends regarding issues of the day, etc.

When I began using Facebook a few months ago, I looked at it as my responsibility to be careful regarding what I post and when -- fully realizing that it is in the public domain. Facebook is providing this service for us absolutely free with very few strings attached. Do you think they are doing it out of the kindness of their own hearts? Of course not. They are trying to build a profitable social network site. If they do not figure out a way to make additional revenue soon, (and of course in a way that does not alienate us or put us at risk) then I am afraid the doors may shut or they will start charging fees for certain features or account types. I don't think any of us want either, do we?

I don't know how to say it more clearly. It is a new world guys, so be careful what you post.

Best,
Perry
PS And just in case you did not hear me the first time...did I forget to tell you that Facebook is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment