I just created a five minute video and posted it on my YouTube channel on how to impress a potential employer.
In this live video I stress eight things to investigate prior your interview:
1. Where do they rank organically for keywords versus the competition? (Google it)
2. Are they involved in paid search and what about their competitors? (use spyfu.com)
3. Do they have more engagement and reach versus their competitor? (use Alexa.com)
4. What are they using to track visitors and what is their competitor using? Are they using Google Analytics, Omniture, Coremetrics? (consider the Vendor Discovery Tool: http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/vendor_discovery_tool.asp )
5. If they are tracking visitors, ask how they create their dashboards or flash reports and how often they update them. Ask if they bring social metrics and other campaign data (like email campaigns) into the reports. Probe on their KPI’s.
6. If they are an e-commerce site and you abandon the shopping cart, do they reach back with an email communication and if so what is the timing and is it optimal. Consider the following study we examined in my web analytics class (http://www.listrak.com/News/slow-cart-remarketing-adoption/)
7. Check out their social presence on Facebook and their Facebook fan base. What about Twitter and their followers. Then assess their competitors. Are there opportunities?
8. If they are involved in social media, ask if they are using a social monitoring tool like Radian6 or Lithium.
For this and other videos on other topics check out my YouTube channel at: www.YouTube.com/user/profpddrake
Good luck on that interview and let me know how you did.